Frequently Asked Questions

How do I submit a work request?
Work orders are submitted through the Babson Portal. Learn how to submit a work order.

How do I follow up on a work request?
Similar to submitting a work request, work request status reports are available through the Babson Portal. Check on work order status.

How do I reserve a room?
All room reservations should be made through the Events Management Office.

How do I schedule an event?
All events should be scheduled through the Events Management Office.

Where do I find out about career opportunities?
Applications are handled by the Human Resources Department. Review open positions.

How do I contact Facilities Management and Planning?
Business Hours: ext. 4444 or 781-239-4444
Non-Business Hours Emergency: Public Safety at ext. 5555

What do I do if I lost my key?
Please report problems to Public Safety at ext. 5555. Public Safety performs all unlocks and can issue temporary access cards. The Service Response Center will coordinate the lock change and/or issuance of new keys and card. A work request can be submitted online. The appropriate replacement fees will be billed to your account.

How do I report a safety issue?
Emergency service requires prompt action because of immediate or potential hazard to the safety of the campus community or property such as:

  • power outages
  • gas/water leaks
  • flooding
  • major heating or air conditioning problems
  • snow and ice removal

All fire and smoke detector alarms are connected to Public Safety (ext. 5555) and the Wellesley or Needham Fire Departments. During business hours, call the Service Response Center (8 a.m. – 4 p.m.) at ext. 4444. During evenings, weekends and holidays, call Public Safety at ext. 5555.

What is the college doing about sustainability?
Babson has completed many initiatives to improve sustainability on campus and many more are under way. Learn more about sustainability at Babson.

How do I go about getting a golf cart to use for a campus event?
There is one 6 seat golf cart available for reservation. This can be reserved by submitting a work request to Facilities Management & Planning through the Babson Portal. Fleet vehicles are available for use by academic and administrative personnel, as well as student organizations, for official College business ONLY. Personal use is not allowed. Drivers must be approved in advance of reservation and use by Public Safety.