Sensitive Crimes

Hate Crimes

Hate crimes occur when a person is targeted because of his or her membership in a certain social group, usually defined by race, religion, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender, gender identity, or political affiliation. Hate crimes differ from conventional crimes because they are not directed simply at an individual, but are meant to cause fear and intimidation in an entire group or class of people.

The BCPD is committed to protecting the civil rights of all individuals and will investigate all reports of hate crimes. Any acts or threats of violence, property damage, harassment, intimidation, or other crimes designed to infringe upon a person’s civil rights will be treated seriously and given high priority.

If you feel that you have been the victim of a hate crime or bias-related incident, please contact the BCPD at (781) 239-5555.

For additional resources please visit the Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security Hate Crimes Reporting website.

Rape/Sexual Assault

Babson College does not tolerate sexual abuse in any form and is committed to preventing assaults through education, policy, and enforcement. Massachusetts law defines two major categories of sexual assault against adults: rape and indecent assault and battery.


According to Massachusetts General Laws, the crime of rape occurs when the offender

... has sexual intercourse or unnatural sexual intercourse with a person and compels such person to submit by force and against his will, or compels such person to submit by threat of bodily injury.

Both men and women may be the victims of rape, and both may be the perpetrators of a rape. Rape may occur when the victim is unable to give consent because he or she is unconscious or under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Rape may occur between people who know each other, and between people who have previously had consensual sexual relations. Rape and attempted rape are punishable by up to twenty years imprisonment.

Indecent Assault and Battery

According to Massachusetts General Laws, the crime of indecent assault and battery occurs when the offender, without the victim’s consent, intentionally has physical contact of a sexual nature with the victim. This contact may include an offender touching a woman’s breasts or buttocks, or the pubic area of a man or woman. Indecent assault and battery may be punished by up to five years imprisonment.

If you are uncertain whether a situation constitutes a rape or indecent assault and battery, please consult with the BCPD, Health Services or Community Standards.

In addition to any criminal or civil penalties, perpetrators are subject to College disciplinary sanctions that include suspension, dismissal, and or expulsion from the College.

What to Do If Sexually Assaulted

Get to a safe place and contact the Babson College Campus Police.

You can dial 911 or 781-239-5555 or 5555 from any on-campus phone. Babson College also has several emergency call boxes located throughout the campus (identified by a blue light). Reporting a sexual assault to the police does not require you to follow through with any legal action. The earlier you report a sexual assault, the easier it will be for police to investigate and prosecute the case successfully. If you do not want to follow through with criminal charges, the BCPD can provide you with additional resources on how to handle your assault.

Preserve all physical evidence.

Physical evidence can be a critical component to sexual assault investigations. To preserve evidence, you should not wash clothing worn during the assault or shower. If possible, try not to urinate, eat, drink, smoke, or brush your teeth. If you decide to change clothes, place all the clothing you were wearing at the time in a paper bag, not plastic. If the crime occurred in your dorm room or in an apartment, do not clean until all evidence has been collected. BCPD and Student Life can assist with housing relocations if needed.

Get medical treatment as soon as possible.

The BCPD can provide information and transportation to area hospitals. Hospitals can conduct a gynecological exam (if necessary) to check for internal injuries. Lab tests will also be performed for the purpose of collecting evidence in the event that you may later decide to take legal or criminal action.

Talk with a professional counselor.

Babson provides a variety of counseling for students who need consultation, referral, and short term treatment. The counseling program is available through the Human Relations Service (HRS), 11 Chapel Place, Wellesley. For information about the program, and appointments, call 781-235-4950. The staff at HRS consists of clinical psychologists, social workers, psychiatrists and clinical nurse practitioners. Counseling sessions are confidential. Records of counseling do not become part of a student’s transcript or college record, and are not shared with Babson personnel without permission.

Domestic Violence

What is Domestic Violence?

Domestic Violence is a pattern of behavior used by an abuser to maintain power and control over his or her partner. It may include emotional abuse, financial abuse, threats and intimidation and physical violence, including forced sexual relations. Domestic violence applies to the following relationships: former spouse, current or former household member, the parent of your children, a relative by blood or marriage, or anyone with whom you have had a substantial dating relationship. Domestic violence occurs in heterosexual, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender relationships. Whether the victim is male or female, violence of any kind in relationships is unacceptable. Domestic violence affects people from every age, racial or ethnic background, religious group, neighborhood, and income level.

Victims of Domestic Violence/209A order

An Abuse Prevention Order, called a "209A Order," or a "protective order," or "restraining order," is a civil court order intended to provide protection from domestic violence. If your abuser: harms you physically, tries to harm you physically, makes you afraid that serious physical harm is going to happen to you, or threatens, pressures or forces you to have sex, you have the right to go to court, and to file a domestic abuse complaint requesting an order restraining your attacker from abusing you. A 209A Order can be obtained in any District Court, Superior Court, or Probate and Family Court in Massachusetts. An emergency 209A order can be obtained through any police department (including BCPD) after court hours, on weekends and holidays. You do not need a lawyer to file for a 209A Order and there is no charge for filing. If you do not wish to obtain a 209A order, you may request other options available to you by contacting BCPD at (781) 239-5555.