The Student Visa Process
Babson College provides student immigration documents for students who are enrolled in a full-time program.
To enter the United States for educational purposes, most full-time undergraduate and graduate international students obtain a Form I-20, receive an F-1 student entry visa, and enter the United States in F-1 student immigration status. Exchange students will receive separate instructions for obtaining a Form DS-2019 for the J-1 visa process.
The Glavin Office is not able to process your request more than four months prior to the start date of your academic program and not until all conditions for admission have been met.
- Passport identification and expiration page(s)
- Evidence of funding
- If applicable:
- Passport identification page(s) for any dependent family member(s)
- Students in the U.S. on the F-1 visa will need to submit current entry visa and Form I-20
- Visit our Transfer to Babson page for more information
- Individuals in the U.S. in a visa category other than F-1 or J-1 will need to submit a copy of current entry visa
- Visit the Change of Immigration Status page for more information
- Request a Form I-20/Form DS-2019 from Babson College
- Once your request is complete, your Form I-20/Form DS-2019 will be mailed within two weeks. You will receive a tracking number via email. Please do not contact ISSS within the two-week processing window. If more information is needed, you will receive an email.
Detailed instructions on paying the SEVIS fee
- Specific instructions on scheduling an interview at your local U.S consulate/embassy can be found on theconsulate/embassy's website
Apply for your visa as early as possible after receiving your Form I-20/DS-2019
- Confirm with the consulate/embassy what documentation is required. Below is a general checklist:
- Passport valid at least six months into the future
- Original Babson Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 (with your signature on page 1)
- Proof of admission to Babson (letter demonstrating your full admission without conditions)
- Completed and signed visa application form(s)
- Photograph(s) in the prescribed format
- Receipt of visa fee(s) payment
- Evidence of funding sufficient to cover your tuition and living expenses during the first year of your program
- Any information that proves that you will return to your home country after finishing your studies in the U.S. This may include proof of property, family, or other ties to your community. Visit our 10 Points to Remember page for additional resources.
- Note: An entry visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to a U.S. port of entry and request permission from the U.S. immigration officer to enter the U.S. It does not automatically guarantee entry into the U.S.
- Review detailed instructions about procedures at the U.S. border
- Enter no earlier than 30 days before the start date on your Form I-20/Form DS-2019
- If you are unable to arrive by the start date on your Form I-20/Form DS-2019, email email@example.com as soon as possible for guidance.
- Students who have had their immigration record transferred from another U.S. school do not need to depart/re-enter the U.S.
Orientation schedules vary by program and will be communicated from other Babson offices.
You will be required to provide copies of your immigration documents and attend an immigration session on maintaining lawful F-1/J-1 status in the U.S.