U.S. Taxes

The following guidelines are for informational purposes only and should not be considered financial or legal advice. You are responsible for understanding and complying with U.S. tax regulations in a timely manner.

The Glavin Office staff CANNOT advise you on tax issues but we have made some tax resources available to you.

Do I Need to File My Taxes?

Yes, this is even true for non-U.S. citizens. At the very least, you will be required to report the number of days you have been present in the U.S. All individuals in F and J status have a responsibility to report even if they did not earn income. Each year, Babson College purchases a subscription to Sprintax, a tax software, designed to assist Babson's international student population in filing their taxes. Most international students at Babson are considered non-resident aliens for tax purposes and may use the Sprintax software.

When Should I File My Taxes?

The U.S. tax filing deadline is usually April 15th of each year. This date may change if the 15th falls on a weekend or a holiday. You should complete and mail out your tax forms by the tax deadline. You may be penalized if your taxes are submitted after the deadline, especially if taxes are owed to the U.S. government. If you miss the filing deadline you should still complete and submit your tax forms.

What Documents Do I Need to File My Taxes?

Between January and mid-March, you may receive mail or emails containing important U.S. tax information. Do not throw away these documents or delete the emails. Not everyone will also receive the same documents. We encourage individuals to set up paperless documents whenever possible. ISSS is not able to determine which documents will be issue to you.

I Didn't File My Taxes Last Year. What Should I Do?

If you missed the tax filing deadline or you did not file your taxes for the previous year, you can still file. If you don't owe the U.S. government money for that tax year you will likely not face any penatly for filing late. We do encourage all individuals to file their taxes on time to avoid possible issues.

How Do I File My Taxes?

The Glavin Office has purchased a tax software, Sprintax, that may be used by Babson F-1 and J-1 students, scholars, individuals on OPT and recent graduates. Some individuals, who are considered resident aliens for tax purposes, may not use Sprintax.

ISSS will email the link and login information for Sprintax in February. The Sprintax subscription covers the cost of using the software for filing federal tax forms. Individuals may be required to file additional state tax forms, depending on income earned. The cost of these filings are not covered by Babson.

You are not required to use Sprintax to complete your tax filing obligations. But you should take care to ensure that you are using the correct tax forms and software for your tax status.    

Why Was My Filing Different Than My Friend's Taxes or My Taxes Last Year? 

Each person's taxes are unique to them. Although it may appear that everything should be the same, a small difference in how a question is answered may significantly impact a person's taxes. Additionally, each year the U.S. government makes changes to the tax code; this may also impact a person's tax filing. 

I Received A Call From The IRS Telling Me I Owe Them Money! What Should I Do? (SCAM Alert)

This is a common scam across the U.S. and it is quite common during the tax season. In the past, Babson students have been targeted by scams where someone claims to be an IRS or other government official. It is common for the phone number to appear as though it is coming from the IRS and it is also common for the "officer" to threaten individuals with arrest and deportation.

The IRS will NOT contact you via phone and they will NOT ask you to send a gift card or to wire money.  If you believe you have been a victim of a scam, contact the Glavin Office and Babson's Public Safety.

Do I Need to File State Taxes?

You may be required to file a state tax return after you file your federal tax return. For help with your Massachusetts state income tax return, visit www.mass.gov/dor. If you have resided in another state during the tax year, you may need to file your taxes with that state, along with Massachusetts. For an additional fee, Sprintax offers assistance to individuals who need to file their state taxes.

Need Help?

Sprintax has tax professionals available 24 hours a day to assist Babson's international student and scholars. ALL TAX QUESTIONS should go through Sprintax. Glavin Office staff are not able to advise about U.S. tax law/regulations.

Note: If you prefer not to use Sprintax, you may wish to contact a tax professional for guidance.

Access the More in this section