International scholars may be invited by Babson College to engage in temporary academic activities such as research and teaching at Babson College in J-1 Exchange Visitor status for up to five years.
In order to host an international visiting scholar in J-1 immigration status, the U.S. Department of State requires all participants to meet specific requirements. Babson host departments must ensure that the scholar has been informed of the requirements listed below prior to submitting an invitation request:
- Participation in cultural exchange opportunities within the Babson community
- English language proficiency, academic credentials (at least a bachelor's degree), and relevant professional experience to conduct the activities for which s/he has been invited
- Adequate financial resources to support her/himself for the duration of the appointment
- Health insurance coverage which satisfies the U.S. Department of State and the state of Massachusetts healthcare mandates
Process for a Visiting Scholar to join Babson in J-1 Status
1. Babson Host Department
Contact the Dean of the Faculty's Office (DOF) for approval and to initiate pre-screening requirements BEFORE issuing an invitation letter.
The DOF will notify the department that an invitation letter can be issued.
Issue an invitation letter, click here for a sample letter J1 Visiting Scholar Invitation Letter.docx. You will be asked to attach a PDF of the signed letter to the Department Request (see below). The letter must include:
Specific program start and end date (start date cannot be altered once Form DS-2019 is issued)
Description of the scholar's primary activities (i.e. teaching, research, observation). Be specific, include the subject matter of the research or name of course.
Exact compensation in U.S. dollars which will be provided to the scholar. If no compensation will be provided, this should be clearly stated. Note: the scholar must demonstrate $2000 per month.
Submit Department Request for a J-1 Visiting Scholar »
2. Glavin Office
Within two business days of receiving approval from both the host department chair, the Glavin Office will email the visiting scholar instructions to request a Form DS-2019 from Babson.
3. Visiting Scholar
Gather the following documentation (in electronic format):
- Submit Form DS-2019 Request »
4. Glavin Office
Within three business days, the Glavin Office will mail the visiting scholar:
- Form DS-2019 (certificate of eligibility for J-1 Exchange Visitor status)
- J-1 Visiting Scholar invitation letter (if original not yet sent by the department)
- Health Insurance Verification Form
- Additional instructions for securing a J-1 entry visa
5. Visiting Scholar
Use Form DS-2019 to pay the SEVIS fee and schedule a J-1 visa interview
Obtain mandatory health insurance coverage.
After receipt of a J-1 entry visa, travel to the U.S. (no earlier than 30 days prior to the Form DS-2019 start date)
At the U.S. border, present your: passport, J-1 entry visa, Form DS-2019, SEVIS fee receipt, Babson invitation letter, and funding evidence.
- Check-in with the Glavin Office (Hollister Hall, Suite 220) upon arrival to the U.S.
Bring all original immigration documents and evidence of mandatory health insurance coverage.
Attend a mandatory orientation session with the Glavin Office.