Health Insurance Requirement

As a J-1 Exchange Visitor under the sponsorship of Babson College, according to federal regulations governing the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program [22 CFR 514.14 (h)] all Exchange Visitors and their J-2 dependents must have sickness and accident insurance for the duration of their stay from a U.S. based insurance company in the following amounts:

  1. Minimum Coverage—At a minimum, insurance shall cover: (1) medical benefits of at least $100,000 per person per accident or illness; (2) repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000; and (3) expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000.
  2. Additional Terms—A policy secured to fulfill the insurance requirements shall not have a deductible that exceeds $500 per accident or illness, and must meet other standards specified in the regulations.
  3. Maintenance of Insurance—Exchange visitors and their dependents must maintain the required insurance during the duration of their program.

For J-1 students: Babson College and Massachusetts state regulations require all visiting exchange students to purchase the Babson health plan unless they have comparable insurance from a U.S. based insurance company.

The Glavin Office may need to collect additional information from you depending on your situation to confirm you have the required coverage. If you have further questions, please speak with an International Student Advisor for specific details on required coverage.

Please note, most domestic health insurance policies do not include medical evacuation and repatriation insurance. You may have to purchase this coverage separately.

For more information about health and immunization requirements, please visit Babson Health Services.