Maintaining Status During OPT

Post-Completion OPT is an extension of F-1 student status. While on OPT, you must follow the regulations to maintain your status.

Creating Your SEVP Portal Account

On/around your OPT start date listed on EAD, you will be sent two emails to your Babson email account from SEVP ( to create your SEVP portal account. Make sure to activate your SEVP portal immediately. The registration email becomes invalid after a short period of time. If you do not see the email in your inbox, first check your junk folder.  

It is important to set up your account as soon as receiving the SEVP emails at the start of your OPT, even though you may not have any employment information yet to report. Do NOT wait until you have a job offer to activate your SEVP Portal account. For SEVP Portal troubleshooting, visit the SEVP Portal Help Hub

Contact ISSS if you have not received the Portal creation emails by the third day of your start date and make sure to follow the guidance for the 10-day reporting window.

You should continue monitoring your Babson email throughout your OPT period. If you have been transitioned to an alum email, you will need to use your new username to check your Babson account.

Reporting Requirements During OPT

You are required to make updates on your own in the SEVP Portal within 10 days of any change.

  • Employment information
    • New employer, Change of employer, Loss of employment
    • Employer reporting will require the following information:
      • Employer name
      • Start date
      • Work address
      • Description of how the job/position is related to your program of study 
  • Change of local U.S. Address 

If you miss the 10-day window to report your employer information, you're no longer able to make the update in the SEVP portal on your own. In this case, contact ISSS for further instructions:

Employment Requirement

You must be actively employed for the majority of your OPT authorization period. All employment must be related to your degree and at your degree level and reported in the SEVP portal.

Unemployment time limit during OPT

While on Post-Completion OPT, you may not accrue more than 90 calendar days of unemployment from the start date listed on your EAD card.

If you are unemployed for more than 90 days (in aggregate) during your post-completion OPT period, you will no longer be considered maintaining your F-1 status and your immigration record may be automatically terminated. 

The Student & Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) may or may not send mailed "Failure to Report" letters to students who have exceeded 90 days of unemployment. Failure to report within 15 days of the notice will result in the termination of a student's immigration record. 

Make sure to take action accordingly through the following before 90 days of unemployment have been accrued:

End your F-1 status before the 91st day by requesting your SEVIS immigration record be completed and ensure you have departed the U.S. before that date.

    • if you want to pursue a new program at Babson, you must ensure to receive a new Form I-20 (for the Change of Education Program/Level) before the 91st day of unemployment time. Information will be communicated to you from ISSS staff after being admitted into a program and making the first deposit.
    • if starting a new program at another U.S. School you must be admitted and have your SEVIS record transferred from Babson to your new school before the 91st day. Follow the instructions on our Transfer from Babson page to complete the Transfer Confirmation Form.

Types of Post-Completion OPT Activities Permitted / To Be Reported

The following are considered valid OPT employment activities according to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and should be reported:

  • Paid employment. Students may work part-time (at least 20 hours per week when on post-completion OPT) or full-time.
  • Multiple employers. Students may work for more than one employer, either simultaneously or one after the other; all employment must be related to the student’s degree program
  • Short-term employers. Students, such as performing artists may work for multiple short-term employers (gigs). Students must maintain a list of all gigs, dates, and duration.
  • Work for hire (1099 independent contractors). This is when an individual performs a service based on a contractual relationship rather than an employment relationship. Students must maintain a record showing the duration of the contract periods and the name and address of the contracting company.
  • Self-employed business owner. Students on OPT may start a business and be self-employed. In this situation, the student must work full time (over 20 hours a week) and maintain all documents proving the existence and validity of the business. It is recommended to keep detailed calendars.
  • Employment through an agency. Students on post-completion OPT must be able to provide evidence showing they worked an average of at least 20 hours per week while employed by the agency.
  • Unpaid employment. Students may serve as volunteers, unpaid interns, researchers, community service workers, etc. ONLY where this does not violate any labor laws (summary: cannot choose to work without pay if others are paid for doing the same work). The student must be able to provide evidence to confirm "employment" for at least 20 hours per week and how it relates to their degree.

Additional Considerations During OPT:

F-1 students who are engaged in a period of post-completion OPT and have applied for a change of status to H-1B, may benefit from the "Cap Gap" extension of OPT: an automatic extension of status and OPT work authorization to October 1st.

Visit our Cap-Gap Extension of OPT page for more information.

While on OPT you must maintain your F-1 immigration status through employment/practical training related to the degree that you just completed.  Studying during your OPT period may be considered incidental and permissible as long as the study is recreational, vocational, or non-degree. If you decide to go back to school full-time for another degree, you will need to transfer your SEVIS immigration record from Babson to the new school and receive a new Form I-20 from that school. Upon transferring to another school, your OPT will automatically terminate.

If you decide to pursue another degree at Babson, you will need to obtain a new Form I-20 to reflect your new degree once admitted. Information will be provided to you by ISSS after acceptance/deposit.

Access the Active OPT Quick Links