The Blank School engages Babson community members and leads research to create entrepreneurial leaders.
J-1 Academic Training
Academic Training (AT) is a U.S. training experience that is directly related to a student’s field of study. It is available while school is in session, during vacation periods, or after completion of a program of study.
Eligibility for AT Authorization
- Be enrolled in a program full-time
- Be in good academic standing
- Obtain a specific offer for in person employment that is directly related to your field of study
- Be recommended by your Academic Advisor
- Self-Employment is not permitted on AT, as it requires a training and supervision.
- The length of AT authorization is specific to the employment offer, with a maximum period of available AT equal to the total length of your program per a student's Form DS-2019.
- example: if you are enrolled in a 4 month program you will be eligible for up to a 4 month period of AT
- the absolute maximum period of AT that can be authorized is a total of 18 months (whether cumulative or one authorization)
- AT must be approved by your Academic Advisor and authorized by your International Student Advisor (ISA).
- Students are limited to Part-time AT (20 hours or less per week) during the academic year. AT is counted at a full-time rate regardless of whether it is full or part-time.
- Earning more than one degree does not increase your time eligibility for AT.
- Post-completion AT additional requirements if using AT after the completion of your program:
- Deadline for authorization: AT must be authorized no later than the program end date on your Form DS-2019.
- Funding Support: show documentation that you have sufficient funds to cover housing, food and personal expenses for the additional time period.
- Health Insurance: maintain the required health insurance for J-1 Exchange Visitors for yourself and any J-2 dependents.
- Pre-Completion AT: end date must be on or before current program end date on Form DS-2019
- Post-Completion AT: start date must be within the 30 days after current program end date on Form DS-2019
You must be authorized for Academic Training by ISSS before beginning employment and should apply at least two weeks before employment start date (pre-completion AT) or program end date on your Form DS-2019 (post-completion AT).
- Calculate the amount of Academic Training available to you using your Form DS-2019 program start and end dates.
- Make sure to account for any authorized Pre-Completion AT
- Tip: use the Date Calculator in the Resources section on this webpage.
- Obtain a training/internship offer from an employer. It is recommended for you to have the following information in your offer as you will need this information for future steps:
- Name and address of the employer
- Name and title of the Supervisor
- Exact start and end date of the job
- Hours per week
- Amount of compensation
- if paid, how much
- if unpaid, the letter should state this
- Description of responsibilities/duties - you will need to answer specific questions about how the internship relates to your field of study, connects back to your academic program and provide goals/objectives for the experience (see the form in Step 2)
- Complete Section I of the J-1 Academic Training Academic Advisor Recommendation Form
- Submit the completed form along with a copy of your employer letter to your Academic Advisor via email and so they can complete Section II. They will return the signed form for you to submit to ISSS in the online AT request (next step).
- Undergraduate Exchange: Samantha Stanley (email@example.com)
- Graduate Exchange or Degree Students (Form DS-2019 issued by Babson): Graduate Academic Services (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Fulbright/Sponsored J-1 students must go through their program sponsor to obtain Academic Training
You will need the below items to receive Academic Training. Submit an online request to ISSS >>
- Completed and signed J-1 Academic Training Advisor Recommendation Form
- Most Recent I-94 (arrival/departure record)
Additional information needed for post-completion AT only:
- Insurance Verification: submit completed J-1 Insurance Verification Form showing that you will have health insurance coverage for the duration of your AT. Information and a fillable form can be found on our J-1 Health Insurance webpage.
- Financial Support: submit documentation showing financial support that covers your period of Academic Training. If compensation from you job is less than the amount below you will also need to provide a bank statement that meets our acceptable funding documentation.
- $2400/month of Academic Training (student only); $1600 additional/month for spouse; $400 additional/month per child.
An appointment will be arranged to review the details about your AT before authorization is provided. Then, a new Form DS-2019 and a letter authorizing Academic Training will be issued for the specific training described on the Academic Advisor Recommendation.
Students in J-1 status authorized for employment under Academic Training are responsible for maintaining their nonimmigrant status during this time. According to Federal Regulations, J-1 students are required to report information directly to the ISSS regarding their employment, as well as changes to personal information and immigration status. Failure to comply with these reporting requirements may result in denial of future benefits and termination of status and AT authorization.
- U.S. Address Changes
- Current Students: Immigration Address Reporting Form (Student Portal)
- Post-Completion AT Students: Email email@example.com
- J-1 Academic Training Evaluation Form
- Per 22 CFR 62.23(f)(6), Babson ISSS must “evaluate the effectiveness and appropriateness of the academic training in achieving the stated goals and objectives in order to ensure the quality of the academic training program.”
- The J-1 Academic Training Evaluation Form should be completed whenever you end employment on Academic Training. Deadline: one week after AT ends.
Do not begin Academic Training until you have been authorized and have a new Form DS-2019.
- Date Calculator
- Helpful for programs less than 18 months to calculate the total number of Academic Training days available based on your program start and end dates (listed on Form DS-2019)
- How to obtain a Social Security number (SSN)