Returning after Separation

Students who have been on a leave of absence or who separated from the college may be eligible to return to Babson College in F-1/J-1 status after they have been readmitted.

To inquire about the return to studies at Babson College and/or to request a new Form I-20 or DS-2019 from Babson College, please email  You will be required to provide evidence of funding and other documents to complete this request.

SEVIS Fee and Visa

Since you will have a new SEVIS immigration record you are required to pay the SEVIS Fee again in order to return to the United States. You can do so on: When paying the fee, make certain to provide the SEVIS ID number of the newly issued I-20/DS-2019.

If you have been outside the U.S. for more than five months, U.S. State Department regulations require that you apply for a new F-1/J-1 entry visa even if your current F-1/J-1 entry visa has not expired.  Details can be found online at

Entry at the U.S. Border

The SEVIS record of a student with a termination event is marked by a red flag which could result in additional scrutiny at the U.S. Port of Entry. The Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer is likely to subject you to secondary inspection, where another officer will review your immigration documents and your eligibility to enter the U.S. in F-1/J-1 status. The process could take up to several hours. Consider this extra delay when planning your travel into the U.S. Once you arrive at campus, make sure to inform ISSS that you were subject to secondary inspection and we can try to request that the red flag be removed from your record. 

Employment Eligibility

After entering the U.S. in initial student status, you must be enrolled in full-time studies for one academic year (two semesters) before becoming eligible for F-1 employment benefits such as Optional Practical Training or Curricular Practical Training