Frequently Asked Questions

The Form I-20 is issued by a U.S. school to proves that you have been accepted and have met the met all admission requirements for your program and are eligible for "F-1" student immigration status.  It also indicates how long you may remain in the United States.

An entry visa is placed in your passport at a U.S. embassy or consulate (outside the U.S.).  An F-1 entry visa is required to ENTER the U.S. in F-1 student status (unless you are from Canada or Bermuda). The entry visa stamp may expire while you are inside the U.S.  You will only need a new visa if you leave the U.S. after it expires and you wish to return. 

The I-94 is your official arrival/departure record. It indicates at what port-of-entry and on what date you arrived into the U.S.  It also indicates how you were admitted into the U.S. (for example, as a student or a tourist). It will also include an expiration date. For F-1/J-1 students/scholars and their dependents, this should be “D/S”, which means “Duration of Status.” This notation refers to the date you complete your studies or the end date on your Form I-20/Form DS-2019 (whichever is earlier) plus any grace period you may be eligible. If you enter the U.S. from a land border, you will get a paper Form I-94 stapled to your passport; otherwise, you can access the record electronically.

The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is a Department of Homeland Security electronic monitoring system for international students. It requires schools to report certain information on each student.

You must meet with the International Student Advisor (ISA) immediately to see if you are eligible for a transfer.

You must meet with your International Student Advisor (ISA) immediately to discuss your options.

  • Maintain a valid passport (at least 6 months into the future).
  • Currently attend the school whose Form I-20 you last used to enter the U.S., or complete required transfer procedures.
  • Be enrolled in a full-course of study during the academic year (12 credits or more per semester), unless an exception is made in advance by the ISA.
  • Comply with extension of program procedures BEFORE your current Form I-20 expires.
  • Comply with procedures for changing from one degree level to another.
  • Engage only in authorized employment.
  • Inform the ISA of any address change within 10 days of moving.

Yes! If you find yourself in a situation where you must stop attending Babson, be sure to inform your ISA prior to withdrawing from classes. Depending on the reason for your departure you may receive a certain window of time to depart the U.S. Your Form I-20 will become void and your record will be terminated in SEVIS.

  • A valid Form I-20 signed by an ISA no more than 12 months prior to re-entry
  • A valid passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
  • A valid F-1 visa (except citizens of Canada or Bermuda)
  • Evidence of financial support

Your form can be signed during Walk-In Advising hours or can be dropped off at the Glavin Office for  takes 24 hour processing.  Plan to have your Form I-20 signed well in advance of travel outside of the U.S.

If you have a valid passport, an expired F-1 visa, a Form I-20, and I-94 (arrival/departure record) indicating you have been admitted in F-1 status for “D/S” you can re-enter the U.S. in valid F-1 status as long as your trip is for less than 30 days. You must retain your I-94 and tell the border official that you are taking advantage of “automatic visa revalidation.” (Currently, this benefit does not apply to citizens of Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.) If you decide to renew your visa in Canada, Mexico or any adjacent island, while your visa application is pending and/or if your visa is denied, you may not re-enter the U.S. on automatic visa revalidation.

You must meet with your ISA prior to starting classes at the new university. If Babson is unaware of your transfer then your new school will not be able to issue you a transfer Form I-20.

You may take one online course or no more than 3 credits of online coursework or distance education per semester which can be counted towards your full course of study.

Any time you leave campus it is recommended that you have all of your original documents. Although uncommon, you may be asked to show your documents by a government official. ISSS highly recommends applying for a legal form of U.S. identification. 

On-Campus: All F-1 students who are in valid F-1 status are allowed to work up to 20 hours/week on campus. No official work permission is required. You may work full-time on-campus during official college breaks.

Off-Campus: Authorization from both the ISA and/or the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is required for off-campus employment. In most cases, off-campus employment must be related to your field of study, and can only take place after one academic year of full time studies.

A SSN is required only for those who will work in the U.S. and get paid. F-1 students may apply for a (SSN) if they are authorized for employment or have an on-campus job offer. You will need an on-campus employment letter to verify your eligibility. You must apply in person at the Social Security Office, and it takes approximately two weeks for the number to be issued and mailed to you. F-2 dependents may not obtain a Social Security number because they are not eligible for employment

The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles requires that anyone who plans to live in Massachusetts for more than one year must obtain a Massachusetts Driver’s license within 30 days of obtaining their car. Either a Social Security number or a ‘Denial Letter’ from the Social Security Office is required for a Driver’s License. A “Denial Letter’ will be issued if you are not eligible for a Social Security Number. An official “International Driver’s License” or license from certain countries may be used for up to one year. Please see the Registry of Motor Vehicles for more detailed information.

Yes! All F-1 visa holders who have been in the U.S. for less than 5 years are Nonresidents for tax purposes and must file the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 8843. Those who have had U.S. source income must also file Form 1040NR or 1040NREZ and some may have to file a Massachusetts State tax form as well.