Transfer To Babson
In addition to the steps outlined on The Student Visa Process page, students currently attending a U.S. school in F-1 status must have their SEVIS record transferred electronically to Babson.
1. Confirm Decision to attend Babson
Notify the school you are currently attending of your acceptance and intent to transfer to Babson College.
2. Request Babson Form I-20
When you submit the Form I-20 Request from Babson, you will be asked to provide the name and email address of a Designated School Official (DSO)* at your current school. Your DSO will confirm eligibility for the transfer of your SEVIS record and release the record to Babson. Babson does not have a form to complete as everything gets transmitted between your current school advisor and Babson ISSS through email.
* If you are unsure which DSO's information to provide, please call your international student advisor and/or international admission counselor and ask them for help.
3. Receive Initial Babson I-20
Once your Form I-20 Request is complete, you will receive a new Babson-issued Form I-20 with the notation, "transfer-pending". Use this Form I-20 for future international travel.
4. Check-in during Babson Orientation
You are required to attend a mandatory immigration session during Orientation to review information specific to being an international student at Babson and must ensure that you check-in with the Glavin Office with your original immigration documents within 15 days of the start date indicated on your Babson Form I-20.
5. Receive Updated Babson I-20
The Glavin Office will register you in the SEVIS system and issue you a second Babson Form I-20 with the notation, “continued attendance” within the first few weeks. Use this new Form I-20 (with updated travel signature) for future international travel.
- Your current International Student Advisor can only transfer your SEVIS record to one school.
- Transferring your SEVIS record during a period of authorized Optional Practical Training (OPT) will end your OPT on the release date.
- You can continue to use your existing F-1 visa for as long as it is valid since your SEVIS ID will not change.
- You must use your most current Form I-20, issued by the new school for travel and re-entry into the U.S. in between programs.
- Keep all previously-issued Form I-20s for your personal records as they may be needed in the future.