In addition to the steps outlined on The Student Visa Process page, students currently attending a U.S. school in F-1 status must have their SEVIS record transferred electronically to Babson.
SEVIS Immigration Transfer Steps:
1. Confirm Decision to attend Babson
Notify the school you are currently attending or on active Optional Practical Training (OPT) through of your acceptance and intent to transfer to Babson College. Pay your Babson first deposit and review information found at www.babson.edu/isssnew.
2. Request Babson Form I-20
When you submit Babson's Form I-20 Request you will be asked a variety of questions specific to transfering your immigration record to Babson.
The international student advisor/DSO at your current school will release your immigration record to Babson through the SEVIS sytem - typically at the end of your current program or during your 60-day grace period.
You may need to provide your international student advisor information, including the applicable School Code below. Babson does not have any paper forms to complete.
SEVIS School Codes:
- Babson College Main Campus (Wellesley, MA): BOS214F00030000
- Babson Miami Campus (Miami, FL): BOS214F00030003
3. Receive New "Transfer Pending" Babson Form I-20
Once your Form I-20 Request is complete, you will receive a new Babson-issued Form I-20 with the notation, "transfer-pending". While you may choose to remain in the U.S., you will need to use this new Form I-20 for any international travel before the start of the Babson program.
4. Check-in during Babson Orientation
You are required to attend a mandatory immigration session during Orientation to review information specific to being an international student at Babson and must ensure that you check-in with the Glavin Office with your original immigration documents within 15 days of the start date indicated on your Babson Form I-20.
5. Receive Updated Babson Form I-20
The Glavin Office will register you in the SEVIS system and issue you a second Babson Form I-20 with the notation, “continued attendance” within the first few weeks. Use this new Form I-20 (with updated travel signature) for future international travel.
- Your current International Student Advisor can only transfer your SEVIS record to one school.
- Transferring your SEVIS record during a period of authorized Optional Practical Training (OPT) will end your OPT on the release date.
- You can continue to use your existing F-1 visa for as long as it is valid since your SEVIS ID will not change.
- You must use your most current Form I-20, issued by Babson for travel and re-entry into the U.S. in between programs.
- It is important to keep all previously-issued Form I-20s and EAD (OPT cards) from any U.S. school you attended for your personal records as they may be needed in the future.