Once approved for the STEM OPT extension, students must submit a 6-, 12-, 18- and 24-month validation report to the DSO (international student advisor) that confirms the student’s current name, address, employer, and employment status are correct.
In addition, students are required to submit an additional mid-point/12-month evaluation and a Final/24-month evaluation.
- 6 months after the STEM OPT EAD start date
- 12 months after the STEM OPT EAD start date (with 12 month I-983 self-evaluation, page 5)
- 18 months after the STEM OPT EAD start date
- 24 months after the STEM OPT EAD start date (with Final I-983 evaluation, page 5)
Students can submit the validation form within 30 days prior to or 25 days after the validation due date. Please note that ISSS cannot retroactively submit the validation in SEVIS if you missed a reporting period.
Potential consequences of missing reporting periods
There will be no immediate consequence for this missing 6-month validation. However, there are potential consequences for missing this reporting requirement. Examples could include, but are not limited to:
- An automatic system termination of your SEVIS record for “Failure to Report While on OPT.” This decision is at the discretion of USCIS/SEVP officials.
- If/when you apply for future benefits through USCIS (i.e. H-1B, green card application). You and your immigration attorney who assisted in your H-1B application would need to respond to these inquiries.