On-Campus Employment

Work that qualifies as on-campus employment must be paid through Babson’s payroll with specific exceptions, including vendors on campus that provide direct services to the Babson community (i.e. bookstore, dining facilities).

Current Babson students in F-1 and J-1 status who are maintaining valid status are eligible for on-campus employment. Opportunities range from administrative positions in offices to working at the ice skating rink. Positions can be found online through the Student Employment Office. All students must have a Social Security Number (SSN) before beginning employment.


  • F-1 Students do not need authorization to work on-campus. However, to apply for a Social Security number (SSN), students must complete and submit the On-Campus Employment & SS Request Form.
  • J-1 Students must receive authorization BEFORE beginning on-campus employment from an international student advisor in the Glavin Office by submitting the On-Campus Employment & SS Request Form.

Note: You must have received your SSN and completed all human resources paperwork before beginning your on-campus employment.


  • On-campus employment encompasses jobs that are paid directly by Babson College or direct affiliates. Employment at the Babson Campus Store (run by Follett), Babson Dining Services (run by Chartwells), or the Babson Executive Conference Center is considered on-campus employment BECAUSE these companies at these locations are contracted to provide direct service to Babson students.​
  • On-campus employment is limited to part-time (up to 20 hours/week) during the academic year; it may be full-time (over 20 hours/week) during official college vacation.
  • New students must have completed new student check-in through ISSS, U.S. address reporting and must have been registered in the SEVIS immigration system before the request form can be signed.
  • A student must never be paid directly by a Babson employee for activities, including assistance with research, grading, or personal tasks such as babysitting, yard work, etc. as these are not permitted under the definition of on-campus employment.
Examples of employment that is NOT considered on-campus employment:
  • A professor paying a student directly to help with a project/research
  • Tutoring outside of official Babson tutor positions
  • Posting flyers or advertising for a company on campus
  • Remotely working from your on-campus residence for a company
  • Answering an advertisement you saw posted on campus

Meet with an international student adviser in the Glavin Office BEFORE beginning any employment to be sure that you do not accidentally engage in unlawful employment.

On-Campus Employment & SSN Request Form Processing

Students should allow for at least two-three weeks for the entire SSN processing**

PDF Blue Icon On Campus Employment SSN Request Form >>

Step 1: Student Completes Section One of the On Campus Employment & SS Request Form (PDF)
Step 2: Student emails Request Form to their Hiring Supervisor/Department to Complete & Sign Section Two. 
Step 3: Student obtains their online I-94 record showing their most recent U.S. travel entry in student status.
Step 4: Student submits completed Request Form and I-94 record online to ISSS for 1-2 business day processing. Submit Request Form to ISSS >>
Step 5: Student applies for Social Security number at local Social Security Administration office

**Note: the Social Security Administration (SSA) is experiencing longer than normal processing in addition to process changes due to COVID-19.