Dependent Family Members

A dependent is either a spouse or child (under 21 years of age) of an F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor who would then be eligible for F-2/J-2 immigration status if sufficient funding is demonstrated.  

Requesting a Form I-20/Form DS-2019 for your dependent family member(s)

Your dependent request should be part of your initial Request for Form I-20/Form DS-2019 Â»

You will need to submit copies of their passport(s) along with additional funding, which will depend on the number of dependents you have.  This information will be indicated once you begin the Request for Form I-20/Form DS-2019. 

If your situation has changed since you began your program and you need to add either a spouse or child(ren) you will likely need to provide financial documentation to show you can support the dependent. They will then apply for the corresponding F2 or J2 visa. Note: the SEVIS fee does not need to be paid for F2/J2 dependents.

  • Your expenses are tied to your academic program (if you do not know what the current annual expenses are for your academic program, email
  • Your dependent's expenses should be calculated based on: $1600 per month for your first dependent family member and $485 per month for each additional dependent family member. 

F-1 students: Complete the Add Dependent request. This request will prompt you to provide information about your dependent(s) along with the required documentation.

J-1 students: email to get started and confirm the amount of funding you will need to show based on your program.


Your dependent request will be part of your 



Email your request to with a copy of your dependent’s passport identification page(s) and  for you and your dependent's stay in the U.S. 

  • Your expenses are listed on your current Form DS-2019
  • Your dependent's expenses should be calculated based on: $1600 per month for your first dependent family member and $485 per month for each additional dependent family member.

Options for Dependents to Work or Study in the U.S.

  • F-2 Dependent Spouse: as of May 29, 2015, spouses may study part-time in a program of academic study, but are not permitted to engage in employment while in the U.S.

  • F-2 Dependent Child: may only engage in full-time studies at the K-12 level in the U.S. and are not permitted to engage in employment while in the U.S.

  • J-2 Dependent Spouse or Child: permitted to engage in part-time or full-time studies in the U.S. Employment permitted while in the U.S. only upon applying for J2 employment authorization from USCIS.

Health Insurance for Dependents

Dependents are not included in Babson's health insurance plan so you will need to find health coverage for them while they are in the U.S. It can be expensive but not something you want to go without. View more information on the Babson Health Insurance Requirements page (very bottom of the page) using University Health Plans.

Note: As of March 9, 2021 certain public benefits, such as MassHealth will not impact eligibility for future immigrant statuses (i.e. permanent residency, some employment visas) as it had in previous years. If you have any questions about how this could impact you, you should speak with an immigration attorney.